A Day Trip to Ayutthaya, Thailand

On our third day in Bangkok, we decided to take a day trip to Ayutthaya. We took a taxi down to Mo Chit Bus Station. There was a very old van that fit 11 of us and the drive was about 40 minutes.  It was a cheap ride for 70 Baht to get there and 60 Baht to get back for the 3 of us! Once we arrived there were Tuktuks waiting to take us around to the different ruins and temples.  It started as 500 baht per person, but haggled him down to 400.

Ayutthaya was founded in 1350 and known as the 2nd Capital of Siam and the largest trading city in the world by 1700.  It was invaded by the Burmese in 1767 when it was nearly all burned to the ground. It wasn’t until 1991 when Ayutthaya became a Historic City.

Wat Chaiwatthanaram

Wat Lokaya

Wat Phu Khao Thong

Wat Phrasisanphet

Wat Maha That

Wat Ratchaburana

Wat Phra Ram

6 Comments Add yours

1. JAIMEE says:

This place looks so pretty and fun, (and to be honest, I’ve never even heard of it before!) but you’ve definitely convinced me to look into it! Lovely photos, too! I also love when bloggers include a tiny bit of the destination’s history, it’s so interesting!

Liked by 1 person

2. Wading Wade says:

Ahh, I was looking for a good day trip to do from Bangkok, this looks so charming!

Liked by 1 person

3. ljojlo says:

What a magical place! I have been to Bangkok just once but have never heard of this place. Will have to add it to the list 😀

Liked by 1 person

4. Hannah says:

I wanted to do this so badly when I was in Bangkok in November. Annd then I got a bacterial stomach infection and did nothing but lie in bed. >.< Guess I need to try again!

Liked by 1 person

1. lhelmbre says:

Oh no! That’s terrible! I’m a nurse and when I travel I take a prescription of Cipro with me in case I get traveler’s diarrhea (TMI I know). Ask your doctor next time you go out of the country. 🙂

Liked by 1 person

1. Hannah says:

I did have some anti-biotic meds in case, thank god, but still knocked me out for 3 days